Thursday, November 21, 2013

What is intimacy?  Is it a physical connection based on mutual attraction and satisfaction? Before becoming a wife and Christian I believed that to be the case.  I had deduced through peers and our sex-saturated media that what Woody and I had experienced was intimacy. So why after three children and ten plus years of marriage did I feel as if I were living with a stranger?  Our physical relationship failed to satisfy my heart and soul.  I was empty, emotionally bankrupt.  That is when I began searching for God's definition of intimacy and discovered how flawed mine had been.

Intimacy has nothing to do with sex.  It is a spiritual bond that brings peace and satisfaction like nothing else in this world.  It is comfortable and safe.  Beautiful and bright.  However, building a friendship with faith as the foundation can be difficult when you have based that friendship on a physical bond.  How do you find your way to that place of spiritual and emotional familiarity?  It is not easy, but it is absolutely possible when you both endeavor to place God at the center of who you are as a couple.  

I can say with all honesty that Woody is the only man with whom I have been intimate.  He has prayed for and with me and seeks God's will for our family.  He quiets my fears and inspires my dreams.  He knows the woman God has created me to be and helps me daily as I strive to be that person.  That is intimacy.  That is what God designed marriage to be.

How are you doing in this area of your life?  What prevents you from knowing your spouse the way God intended?  What needs to change?

Malachi 2:15a "Has not the Lord made them one?  In flesh and spirit they are his."

No comments:

Post a Comment