Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Bound together in a covenant relationship with God, family, and intimate acquaintances as witnesses to the vow we made.  We pledged to love and respect each other, through good times and bad.  We made so many promises; but as the years flew by, children arrived, mortgages acquired, and careers advanced, we rarely--if ever--meditated upon those words spoken in a candle lit church with stained-glass windows.  Instead, we had new words spoken in anger, frustration, and fatigue upon which to contemplate.  Those were the words we turned over in our minds and brought out into the open whenever the opportunity presented itself.  Bitterness had replaced forgiveness as we slowly drifted apart.

How do you learn to forgive once a condemning spirit has taken over?  How do you open up your heart that has been broken by the one person who promised to always protect it?  Why is it necessary to give second, third, and fourth chances?  Because it is what we have received.  When I pledged my heart to my Savior, I vowed to love Him and to cease my hostile behavior towards Him and others.  However, I have broken that promise more than once, and every single time I have hurt my God whom I vowed to love wholly.  Fortunately, He has been there to forgive each and every moment of each and every day.   And He hasn't been keeping score, weighing the weight of my words, condescendingly telling me my apologies mean nothing.  Instead, God opens His arms wide and invites me to take comfort in them, which is the same thing He has done and will do for you.  So I ask you, why do we forgive?  Because we have been forgiven.

Today, instead of contemplating upon the hostile words and moments of frustration, think back to the words you spoke on your wedding day.  It is not easy to move past the pain, but it is more than possible with God's guidance to find the path which leads to healing.

Colossians 3:13 "Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another.  Forgive as the Lord forgave you."

No comments:

Post a Comment