Monday, August 31, 2015

Our Wedding Anniversary

It’s 2:00 a.m. I thought I was finished reaching over to your side of the bed searching for the warmth of your body. But here I am. My hand glides across the cool sheet finding emptiness, and I remember. Today is our wedding anniversary—a day we would have celebrated with joy as we did every year. We realized the value in celebrating another year of dedication. Marriage is work! It doesn’t just “happen.” We both understood this concept better than most. We had toiled through years of drought and plenty to glean the harvest we were finally reaping.

You loved to celebrate. I wonder how we would have celebrated our day. Last year we spent the weekend in Chapel Hill. You surprised me with a new wedding ring to replace the one that I had lost. “Let’s hope I don’t lose this one, or at least not for another 20 years!” I teased. We laughed. We loved. We lived. You were my joy and my security. You made every day a celebration. I knew how blessed I was to commemorate another year of marriage with you. You asked me once again where I wanted to go to mark our 20th wedding anniversary. We decided on New Zealand. You loved to celebrate, but you loved “us” even more.

Today will not be a celebration, but I will remember—I will remember a lifetime of love built on a foundation of faith. I will honor you by continuing to push through the pain and find laughter. I will survive. Although half of my heart died May 10, 2015, I must live on. I will find joy in our children and the memories you gave.

Happy anniversary…well, not happy, but it is not cheerless. I miss you, but I am so grateful for the love we shared. I will never forget.

For now, my life may feel as if I am reaching into the empty darkness, yet I know I am not alone. God has carried me every step of the way and today will be no exception. Perhaps someday the pain will subside enough that I will find a way in which to mark our anniversary once again with laughter and love. For now, I just need to breathe and remember to live.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this informative blog with us. one more thing is need suggestions that is how to improve your marriage, many couple are trying to solve this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jason. I apologize that you did not find what you were searching for by reading my blog. I have written a book about intimacy in marriage and how to improve it. However, since my husband's death a mere four months ago my focus has been on surviving grief and building intimacy with God. My one suggestion for all couples is appreciate every moment. Never take for granted the gift of each day with your spouse. Always be completely present. Do not let life, social media, phone calls, texts distract you from the most important relationship you will ever have.

    If you are interested in reading more on intimacy in marriage, you can read my blogs before May 10, or purchase my book using the following link.

    http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Intimacy-Marriage-Spiritual-Emotional/dp/1939761247/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1442323317&sr=1-1&keywords=finding+intimacy+in+marriage

    Thank you for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete